Hspell 0.2 announcement
"Haifa Linux Club"
The original announcement
Date: Sun, 5 Jan 2003 02:13:53 +0200
Hebrew-Date: 2 Shevat 5763
From: Nadav Har'El
Subject: Announcement: Hspell release 0.2
A few weeks have passed and we are proud to release version 0.2 of Hspell,
the free Hebrew speller. We invested a lot of time and effort to enlarge
the vocabulary of the speller, and improve its usability.
The Hspell project's homepage is
By no coincidence, a day after this version is released, Dan will give a short
lecture about Hspell in the esteemed premises of the Haifa Linux Club
(http://www.haifux.org/). You are welcome to test this freshly-baked version,
and discuss it with him.
This release includes the following improvements:
* Many more nouns, verbs, and other words: around 2500 new base words, and
40,000 inflections. Emphasis has been given to adding *common* words that
will appear in typical, modern, documents.
* Several incorrect words purged or fixed.
* Wolig.pl (noun inflector) overhaul to better and more consistently handle
niqqud-less (ktiv male) spelling rules, and to be able to theoretically
handle at least 99.9% of the Hebrew nouns (of course, we don't have all of
them in the dictionary, yet :)).
* -n option to hspell program, which gives longer (human-written) explanations
on certain spelling errors - especially common niqqud-less spelling errors.
* Read additional accepted words from ~/.hspell_words and/or ./hspell_words
* Kinuim Khavurim (possesive suffixes) are recognized on the infinitive forms
of the verb.
* Added manual page, hspell(1)
* Improved Makefile (thanks to Oron Peled) and made other changes to the
distribution (thanks to Baruch Even) for more easily building binary
packages of hspell.
* Vocabulary: 169,266 words
based on 4505 nouns, 645 adjectives, 3407 verb stems, and
1237 other words